Wednesday, October 19, 2022

The Weaned Soul - Spiritual Attention Deficit Disorder

 


“O Lord, my heart is not lifted;

my eyes are not raised too high;

I do not occupy myself with things

too great and too marvelous for me.

 But I have calmed and quieted my soul,

like a weaned child with its mother;

like a weaned child is my soul within me.” – Psalms 131:1-2


I believe many Christians (including myself) suffer from, Spiritual Attention Deficit Disorder. We have untamed souls (mind, will, and emotions) and are not free from the distractions of this world. 


Waiting upon the Lord is a lost art to many in our generation. The practices of silence and solitude have almost become extinct in our culture. We need God's presence to free us from the anxiety caused by a steady stream of information and images we internalize daily. 


 Busyness or religious activities do not produce spiritual growth. Some of these activities can become a substitute for God. The satisfaction a child has in the presence of his mother is what God offers us.


 "You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore. " - Psalm 16:11 ESV


The weaned soul is a God-saturated soul that has abstained from excessive preoccupation with this world. Our society is controlled by fear, lust, and greed.


The worldly mind is not focused on spiritual reality. 


The weaned soul is not easily distracted by things of lesser importance. It is unselfish and has learned the secret of contentment.


We need time alone with God while not neglecting active involvement with other believers.  


Try meditating on Scripture and while praying over passages, write down your thoughts. Having our souls weaned from the anxiety-filled information age is a process. We must be intentional about seeking the face of the Lord, which is his presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speaking Truth To Power

  My Thoughts: Speaking truth to power is a phrase I hear often. It reminds me of the various protest movements against governments that dat...