Friday, October 21, 2022

Abiding In The Vine

 



“I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. (John 15:1-5, ESV)


Those who abide in the vine have rock-solid faith. Their faith is demonstrated by loving God and loving others. Spiritual nourishment comes from the Son of God himself. They can say of Jesus what the apostle Thomas said, “my Lord and my God.” Discipleship is simply following and obeying Jesus. 


The disciple is in-dwelt by the Holy Spirit and desires to be holy like God. Seeking to follow Jesus in our own power produces frustration, guilt, shame, and legalism.


Without the abiding presence of the Paraclete (Holy Spirit), we can do nothing. While salvation is a free gift, the life of overcoming power promised to us is only given to those who are obedient. Abiding and obeying go hand and hand. A deep sense of joy is available to those who delight in God. 


Jesus did not only come to take us to heaven when we die but to give us the fullness of joy now, even as we experience tribulation in this world. 


The Father prunes those who belong to him. So that we can stay spiritually healthy and connected to Jesus. 


He is the life-giving Vine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speaking Truth To Power

  My Thoughts: Speaking truth to power is a phrase I hear often. It reminds me of the various protest movements against governments that dat...